Thursday, May 19, 2011

C-R5-D16

Yes, I am still on round 5.  I did not get a treatment yesterday.  I am still fighting the chills and fever but we have the reasons narrowed down to two possibilities.  My blood culture test is still showing no results and the antibiotic I took for five days didn't knock out the fever so I probably don't have a bacterial infections.  Other test results indicate that my body is trying to fight some kind of infection which would make it a viral infection and my body will just have to continue to fight.  However, my doctor noted that he had a patient a few months ago with the same drug protocol as mine and she had the same chills and fever reaction when she had her first dose of taxatere.  They eventually determined that her body had an adverse reaction to the drug itself and they changed her treatment.  So my problem is..........we don't know which one it is at this point. 
So they sent me home to let my body balance itself and hopefully sooner rather than later this sequence of chills and fever will fade away.  I will go back next Wednesday for my next treatment.  The doctor will determine whether it is taxotere or something else.  I am definitely leaning toward "something else".  Since my symptoms for an infection of some kind have been almost non-existent, I find it hard to believe that my body wouldn't have righted itself before now.  A severe reaction to the taxotere seems much more likely to me  but then I'm not an oncologist.  I can only think positive and try to enjoy my extra drug-free week.  I hope I can get a short walk in today between showers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment