Monday, March 7, 2011

It Starts Tomorrow

Chemotherapy that is.  January was not a good month and February was not much better.  I had a bout with breast cancer five years ago and I was signed off with my doctors as cured.  Yeah!!!  Then my January mammogram indicated that I should make other plans....a cancerous lump or two on the other side.  A biopsy verified the news.  A lumpectomy would not do the job this time.  Surgery claimed the date for January 31.  The surgery was not that daunting, but thinking about the possibility of cancer spreading was.  The surgeon took care of the two lumps which turned out to be one big one, Stage IIIA, and also a third lump almost undiscovered under my arm.  This cancer was a rather nasty villain, not easy to contain.  However, a PET scan on February 21st brought good news....no cancer present anywhere else.  Now we have a place to start.  Hence the chemo.  Chemically zap any little microscopic cancer cells floating around out there in my blood stream looking for a place to grow roots and then radiate the chest wall and underarm to create a safe zone for the good cells and a cemetary for cancer cells.  At least that's the way I'm choosing to look at it.  I can write that with a smile on my face rather than that the frown created in trying to create the scientific representation for what my doctors are proposing.  So the battle begins tomorrow and new troups will be sent in every other Tuesday for eight rounds of chemo.  Should you wish to wage war with me using the weapons of  encouraging comments and laughable observations about life's twists and turns, please do. 

2 comments:

  1. I hope your first treatment goes well tomorrow. Interesting road you're on. Many are there with you.

    ReplyDelete